Thursday, July 16, 2009

Lumberton

So, for the last weekend of our honeymoon, we decided to go to a Live-Action Roleplaying event. This is something Dave has done before, and I never had. Essentially it involves spending the weekend at a Girl Scout camp, dressing up in costumes, getting foam swords, and fighting people dressed up like monsters.

It was so fun that I feel sort of guilty about it.

I did bring my camera, but didn't take any pictures. However, our friend Jill also brought her camera, and she did actually take pictures... so here some are.


Dave models the linen tunic I sewed for him
on my new sewing machine


Making music on blades of grass... music
that sounded like dying geese.



Apparently, I wasn't able to blow on blades
of grass with a straight face.


I know I look really angry here, but I'm not. It
was just incredibly hot, and the sun
was in my eyes.


I admit, I was dubious about the whole exercise, but it was tons of fun. There's another event in August that I think we're going to try and go to again. I've got a couple of modifications to make to Dave's costume now that I've seen it in action--the snaps need to be moved a little and reinforced, etc... but all in all I was pleased with how it came out, especially given that I haven't sewn a piece of clothing other than that one in about four years.

Plus, I got to dress up like a gypsy and sing folk songs to the most appreciative audience I've ever had. How could I not want to do that again?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Knew the sewing machine was a good idea!