Monday, March 9, 2009

First things first

Well, a number of people have suggested/requested that I start a wedding blog. I guess that only makes sense--my future mom-in-law is in Ohio, my mom is in Washington, my maid of honor is in New York, and my bridesmaids are scattered in various states between San Diego and Philadelphia. Add into that the fact that there are plenty of friends who won't be able to make it to the wedding but still want to hear about all the details, and it just makes sense.

So I guess we can consider this, for the time being, a digital wedding notebook.. an easy way to share wedding plans and ideas with our widely-scattered bridal party, family, and friends.

I didn't choose a wedding-centric name for the blog, because if I keep it up I imagine I'll still have things to write about after the wedding is done. The quotation in the title is from Charlemagne. In full, it goes, "We are born to die. We die to live better. This life is a road to our own country." In a lot of ways, it sums up the philosophy that Dave and I have about life, the universe, and everything.

Our wedding is another step on the road to our own country--a journey havenward. Nope, it's not a typo or deliberate misspelling of "heavenward." Married life is part of the journey too, so "havenward" seemed like a very apropos title for a blog that will begin with our wedding but will hopefully also consider things like setting up our first home together, learning about married life, and starting a family.

3 comments:

Carolyn and John said...

I have a very cool future daughter-in-law !!
C.

Beth - I don't have to wear brown, do I? (John)

Mrs. Scrimp said...

Thank you! I happen to have pretty cool future parents-in-law.

And you don't have to wear brown if you don't want to, as long as you wear something decent. :-p

Dave and Jacque Fessenden said...

Havenward also gives me the image of you and Dave creating a haven or "safe place" for the two of you as well as anyone entering your home.
Jacque Fessenden (friend of the Jurns family)