Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Programs/Guestbook

I had a brilliant idea for a wedding guestbook, and I am thinking about working the idea so that it ties in with the programs as well.

As I've mentioned, the theme of our wedding is an academic one. I take this in a fairly vague sense, and largely go by feel for what will and will not work. We quoted Dante on our wedding website (and on the save-the-date that I designed but never sent out because we changed the date). We're getting married at college for crying out loud.

I've been thinking for a while that I'd like our invitations and programs to resemble books. I even designed our very own ex libris/bookplate design to go inside of them. Theoretically, it could also go inside of our massive book collection after the wedding.

Then one day I said to myself, "Self," I said, "how awesome would it be if we got old-fashioned library loan cards and a date stamp, and had each of our guests stamp and sign a card instead of a traditional guestbook? They could put the signed cards in a card catalog drawer, and after the wedding, the cards could go into a scrapbook."

"What an amazing idea, self!" I responded. (Note: this is only partially true. The conversation took place, but I didn't say it out loud.)

Then I had an even more amazing idea. What if, inside each book-like wedding program, glued to the inside of the back cover, there was one of those old, familiar manila envelopes, with a library card inside of it? Each guest could remove the card from their program and sign/stamp it and file as I mentioned above!

Of course, there would be extra library cards on hand for the people who didn't get the joke that they had to remove the card from the back of the program in order to sign the "guestbook"... but I'm sure a little typewritten note in the back of the program would help point people the right way.


So, I found someone on Etsy who sells the necessary library cards, and eBay is full of date stamps to be had on the cheap. I plan to make the programs along the lines of this tutorial, and buy a simple, antique-y looking leather album to put the library cards in after the wedding.

1 comment:

Rainey said...

That is an amazing idea, Beth! So clever! :-)