Thursday, March 19, 2009

Venues: Ceremony

The readers of this blog who have gone to school with me (or visited me at school) are of course already familiar with the chapel on campus.. probably painfully familiar, if you were a student. Given our required chapel attendance, we students get to know the interior of our chapel pretty well over four years.

But there are people who read this who have never been here, so for your benefit (and for my own mental processing of how I want things to look for our wedding), I post the following.


(all pictures by me)

Our chapel was built in 1936. It's fairly simple in design; I hesitate to describe it as "gothic revival," but it definitely has some gothic elements to it, especially in the smaller details and the indoors.

It's a very popular location for weddings, and it's actually really hard to reserve it. We were fortunate enough that when we realized we'd have to move our wedding from New York to Pennsylvania, someone else had just canceled and we got the last available slot for the summer. It meant changing our wedding date, but all that means is that we get to get married a month sooner than we originally planned, and I'm not about to complain about that.

Because the interior of the chapel is so beautiful, I don't feel a need to gussy it up with a huge amount of flowers, especially since the vast majority of our wedding day is going to be spent elsewhere.

What we will have are candles on every other pew (a setup provided by the college). I'd like to have some kind of small floral decoration on the pews that have candles, and a pretty altar arrangement.

View from the front of the chapel

Sorry this photo's so dark. All I had was natural light, and it was fairly late in the afternoon. Also, wow, that is a lot of pews.. I'm going to be walking forever! Please note the beautiful stone floor I will be walking on.

The college recommends an aisle runner, but I will be barefoot, and I love walking on that stone barefoot, and it's so beautiful.

As you can see in the photo mosaic, the front of the chapel has fairly dark wood paneling, so I'm thinking some light flowers--probably white, to balance out that darkish wood color. I think they'll stand out beautifully.

Luckily, our chapel is so beautiful that it doesn't need a lot of extra adornment. This is good, because we only get access to it starting at 5pm, and the ceremony is scheduled to start at 6... and we have to have everything out again by 8, which includes using the space for any photos. We're on a tight time budget.



No comments: