Monday, March 9, 2009

Groomsfellows

One of the more difficult aspects of wedding planning, for me, has been figuring out clothes for our wedding party. This was made worse by changing our venue and wedding date, which necessitated a slight change in my overall vision for the wedding theme and style itself.

We're getting married in a beautiful 1930's-era chapel at the college where we met. We're both major bibliophiles and really into all things vintage and literary, so a "vintage academia/ivy-league" theme in greens and browns seemed like a good choice for us.

There were a few more things to factor in. Dave doesn't like asking people to spend a lot of money on clothes, and I don't like for things to be too matchy-matchy. So, it took some time to come up with an idea for The Lads that I felt like was reflective of us and the style we want, while still being somewhat dressy.

I learn, through the wonders of google, that a term has been coined to explain my general idea here--it's called aesthetic traditionalism. I like it.

Here is the general idea for The Lads at this point:


Made with Mosaic Maker

I suppose we could also sum it up by saying that if Bertie Wooster would wear it (and it isn't a white dinner jacket or plus fours--I do want the colors to go, and we aren't golfing at the wedding), I wouldn't object to The Lads showing up in it.

No comments: