Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Les Fleurs

So, I will admit, I haven't been thinking very hard about flowers yet.

"What??" you exclaim. "Beth, you're getting married in 101 days! How can you not have planned your flowers yet? Do you even have a florist booked? Do you know how hard they are to find??"

Well, yes, I am getting married in 101 days (hee hee, let's see how many times I work that into one post). No, I don't have a florist booked, exactly. Yes, I do know how hard they are to find.

But...

I have something awesome.

See, this wedding is a labor of love, and not just for me. Dave and I agreed very early on in the planning that it would be more meaningful to us (and not just for financial reasons) if our families and friends pitched in wherever possible. Thus my request that one of my oldest friends do videography. Thus the fact that my dad is marrying us.

And thus, my mother is doing our wedding flowers.

Now, the Internet is full if imprecations against DIY wedding flowers, but this is a special case. She's done them before. She's great at it. It's just an excellent combination of things--my mom, someone who is good at doing flowers, and flower arrangements for nothing more than the cost of wholesale flowers and materials.

The thing about it is, though, I'm having trouble putting my thoughts together about what exactly I want, because that intense and worrying sensation of impending doom--er, deadline--isn't really there. Yet. I'm sure it will be when the wedding gets even closer.

Anyway, I know I want a lot of green in the flowers, especially since the bridesmaids and groomsmen are going to be sporting what is essentially an entire palette of tans and browns. I also know I want flowers in my bouquet that are flowers I like. And I don't want orchids. They are (1) too trendy, (2) too expensive, and (3) just not a flower I have any particular feelings for.

Now, peonies? Peonies make me swoon with delight. Roses? I could bury my face in them all day. Lilies? Well, I don't care much for calla lilies, but give me some stargazers and I will gaze at them (with my nose) for hours.

Also, I love the look of hydrangeas in a bouquet, especially green hydrangeas. Maybe for the bridesmaids.


I just think green flowers would stand out so beautifully against dark brown dresses, and of course it would incorporate green back into the wedding party's look. Plus, it's just my favorite. Mmm, green.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really like working with hydrangeas! And peonies should be in bloom - which means they will be reasonably priced! And lady's mantle from The Farm - green and delicate. M