Thursday, March 12, 2009

Stylings

So, I never thought I would be enough of a control freak to dictate how my bridesmaids wore their hair. I've been a bridesmaid twice, and neither time was I even given any guidance about hair.

But, there's a very specific vintage look I have in mind, and a great vintage hairstyle is only going to help it shine through. So, I've been poking around the internet looking for ideas. One of my bridesmaids has very short hair. Another has quite long hair. The rest are somewhere in between. So it isn't that I want them all to have the same hair--I just want each girl to have some sort of retro flair to her hairstyle.


At the very least, every girl is getting a hair flower. I am planning to make these, in fact--have already made one. I'll post about doing that soon. The picture there on the left is really a little too elaborate--there won't be multiple flowers, just one--but it does give a basic idea.

I have been spending the last hour browsing The Bobby Pin Blog. Honestly, if I had the time or the patience, I would wear my hair like that every single day.

So, I'm not saying that I want to dictate everything. I'm giving people a lot of freedom. My bridesmaids are picking their own shoes, they're picking the cardigans they wear over their dresses... they each get individual jewelry and their own hair. It's just that I want them to choose that hair from a list of pre-selected options. Maybe spit curls to go with the hair flower for the girl with very short hair. I have at least one bridesmaid who I think would look spectacular with pin curls.

Still, part of me cringes at the idea of dictating things even that much. I'm torn between the age-old cry of the bridezilla ("it's my wedding! it's my day! I want it to look right!") and my constant reluctance to dictate anything to anyone.

No comments: